The 411

This is my random life. The good, the bad, and the ugly. There is no real purpose other then to share. So glad to have you on board for the ride, got your seat belt on??!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Yes, I am finally going to give my dos cents



I was trying to stay away from the whole issue surrounding Arizona and their possible new laws in regard to illegal immigrants, but I just could not help myself. I found this article and wanted to respond to certain "highlights" from it. Remember that this is my opinion on my blog, please tread lightly when leaving comments...and respect my blog and it's content.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/arizona-state-law-promises-toughest-illegal-immigration/story?id=10212698

If you have been under a rock...like me...or Patrick (bikini bottom) then here is what it boils down to...
The measure allows police to detain people on the suspicion that they are illegal immigrants, outlaws citizens from employing day laborers, and makes it illegal for anyone to transport an illegal immigrant, even a family member, anywhere in the state.
First I want to say that I agree that people should not break the law, and come here illegally from anywhere. I am a law abiding citizen, and do not think that anyone is above the law. With that said, it's important to note that although I do feel an intense support for the law, that support is under the condition that the law is reasonable and just. WTF constitutes a "suspicion?" Seriously? Have you lost your freaking minds? Have we not seen enough of law enforcement and their idea of "suspicion" and "just cause?" Urgh! Just another wordy document giving certain individuals the right to do what they please. Are we to seriously think that it is constitutional to harass people who "look" Mexican and therefore "could" be illegal based on the perception of the police officer that just so happens to be on duty that day? Does the term racial profiling mean anything to you? It might not, if you yourself have never had to actually see or experience it for yourself. Has anyone given any thought to all of the innocent legal Mexicans and Mexican-Americans that are living in Arizona, and the harassment they will have to endure in the process? Does anyone care? This is not just a political issue, this is a human issue, and these are peoples lives we are talking about.

I know that many reading will roll their eyes and think "here we go again with the racial issue," but in this situation I would ask you to look at this issue and ask yourself how it could NOT be considered a racial issue. The Sheriff who is nicknamed "America's toughest sheriff" (in my best country back woods voice) Joe Arpaio is already under the microscope for his "rounding up" of illegal immigrants and the possibility of racial profiling.What a winner.

Senator Russell Pearce (a supporter of the bill) is quoted saying "you can't break into my country, just like you can't break into my house," really?? Did he really just compare the nations illegal immigrant problem to a home break in? It really does not take a very smart person to realize what this bill means. It allows the law to remain broad and vague so as to open the door for racial profiling. Why are people allowing this to happen?


I will leave you with one last smart and enlightening statement from Senator Pearce that pretty much proves my point, "Simply stated, we need to give law enforcement officers the tools to do their jobs."



REALLY??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggy fun with the family! Share!