The 411

This is my random life. The good, the bad, and the ugly. There is no real purpose other then to share. So glad to have you on board for the ride, got your seat belt on??!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

My sick grandpa and the fragil life we live


My grandpa (dads dad) had a stroke a couple of days ago and another one last night. He will be having a pacemaker placed in his chest tomorrow morning and I spent most of my afternoon with him today.


I do not get to see him as much as I should, but knew that I needed to be there for him so as to make sure he spent as little amount of time as necessary alone while in the hospital. The hospital can be a lonely place. The nurses are okay, but there is nothing like family there to help you get the things you need.


Out of respect for my father I will not go into great detail as to the family history and drama that have plagued that side of the family, but I will just say that it is not the easiest thing I have had to deal with. I know that none of that should matter when someone you love is ill, but I would be lying if I said that I did not hope and pray the entire time I was there that I would not be there when certain other individuals decided to visit. I was lucky and was able to spend time with him without any unwanted guests or feelings clouding what was truly important, and that was/is my grandfather and his health.


He is in excellent spirits, but I know that it is difficult for him to accept help, and assistance when he is use to doing everything for himself. I can see the shame and embarrassment in the fact that he is unable to get up and walk alone, or that his vision is slightly off making his hand/eye coordination off as well. To hear him apologize with tears in his eyes for him needing us to come to the hospital to help him "like a baby," broke my heart. I told him "Grandpa, don't you worry about none of that right now, we (my sister and I) are here because we care and we want to help."



His old school ways and dialogue are freaking hilarious! Hearing him say, "just keep that bolilla (Spanish slang for white lady) nurse away from me, she don't care about me! The black lady and the ones that are like our people are okay, but not her!" made me laugh so hard, I almost peed! He went on to make comments about the government and how they do not want for people like us to be rich with nice cars, and how they really just want old poor people to hurry up and die so that they don't have to pay medicare for them anymore! What an interesting and gentle old man he is and I love him.


5 comments:

  1. I have to say you brought tears to my eyes. How lovely of you to be with your grandpa. My dad had heart problems too, it it did get pretty tense when all the family wanted to be there at once.

    My prayers for your family, God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is in my prayers as you and the rest of your family is. Just remember when things get sticky with the others take the high road. It may not be the most popular road or the most easiest to take but it is the best one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mari's Cake- Thank you so much for your kind words. I just keep thinking about how sad it would be to be alone at a time like that.

    @gestures93- Thanks girlie. You are so right about taking the best road. It is hard, but best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very hard for our grandparents to let go of the stubborness and accept help when they are in the hospital. My grandpa was the same way.

    I hope your grandfather gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete

Bloggy fun with the family! Share!