The 411

This is my random life. The good, the bad, and the ugly. There is no real purpose other then to share. So glad to have you on board for the ride, got your seat belt on??!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Fatties are gross? I need to weigh in. No pun intended.


Recently I was walking past my TV when I overheard some trash about an blog author from Marie Claire stating the following regarding the cast of the show Mike and Molly.


“Yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything,”


“To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine[sic] addict slumping in a chair.”

So since I know you are dying to know what I think about this, I decided to "weigh" in.

I first want to say that I do not have anything against chubbies, in fact, I myself have been a chubby bunny a couple of times in my life (following births of both kids.) I think that it is incredibly important for people to be comfortable in their own skin...no matter how much skin it may be. I also understand the health issue in regard to obesity, and am serious about it when regarding myself and my children. Do I live a perfectly healthy lifestyle? No, but my children and I are within the healthy weight range for our age and heights. That is what I care about the most.

With that said, I actually was mad when I first saw it on TV, and thought something along the lines of this "WTF? What a b%#$h! I hate Hollywood and I hate rich people who thrive on looks and can afford to look however they want while criticizing us mere mortals down to size."

After thinking about it for a while and reading a bundle of blog posts, and news reports regarding the post, I have been able to see some "good" in it. Do I agree with what she shared? No. Do I applaud her for her honesty and respect her opinion? Yes. Do I think that she is doing this just for publicity? Yes.

I think its important for people to always be up front with their opinions about everything. I also think that we would be loads happier as a society if everyone was just up front about their thoughts. Now, do I think that the post was in good taste? No, but I do think that it brings to light an opinion that perhaps many people have, and are just not willing to admit.

Now, with that said, what would I tell her if I could speak with her?

"Thank goodness you are so incredibly perfect. Some people might argue that they would rather not see YOU rolling around with someone, walking into a room, or doing just about anything else. Maybe, just maybe, after your "attention seeking" article starts to lose it's luster, you will actually see how many people are really grossed out and disgusted, by you."

10 comments:

  1. she may be doing it for the attention, but I bet a lot of people feel the same way. not about a little chubbiness but about extreme over weightness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think no matter size someone is , they need to worry about health.point blank...big , small, chubby , slim.. shit catches up w/ ya in the future...look at how many great actors we lost from being over weight.

    This prob manes no since but its 6am and I missed you so much I had to talk to you =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about this and was really shocked that anyone would compare a pleasantly plump person to a heroin addict...seriously?

    Our society sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see all types of people represented in the media. I'm sick of only certain types making it on there or if someone is fat they don't get a love life they just get to be the funny side-kick. Also when am I going to get a show with a fat chick who is married to a skinny hot guy because I get to see the reverse all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new follower from www.mountainmum.com Stopping by to leave some blog love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think approach is everything, and it is soooo obvious that the author went a little futher then she needed to, to prove a point of view.

    Thanks for commenting!!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also agree that health should be a number on priority, but the the blogger was just being nasty.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, just wanted to let you know that I linked to this post today.

    ReplyDelete

Bloggy fun with the family! Share!